I've been trying to figure out this whole wood staining thing, which is surprisingly difficult to do well. I haven't gotten consistent results nor the end color I want yet, using commercial oil stains.
I just had the thought that I could make the same beeswax and mineral oil finish I've made but put wood dye in it. Assuming that the dye, which is water-based, will still do what it's supposed to when mixed with oil instead.
I'm going to give it a shot. If this works, it'll solve two problems at once. One, staining. Two, I've had to realize that staining adds two more finishing passes so if I could do both functions with just the wax, I cut out almost half of the work.
I really hope this does work. Today was a day of self-doubting because I haven't learned staining very well yet and I need to know it ASAP for a job I'm trying to get. Gotta get out of that mode.
I did align my table saw today. It's amazing how much of a difference one millimeter of misalignment can make. I also built a small storage shelf thing onto my router table today, thereby freeing my saw from all of the measuring and other stuff I've been storing on it. Today was successful, just not as much as I'd prefer.